Shop talk: Is Cudi's "Man on the Moon III" a classic?

 


There are few moments that make me absolutely proud to be a Clevelander. That sweet sweet moment when Baker Mayfield clutches a game in the first half, how our shitty river formed the EPA and whenever Kid Cudi drops an album.

Today, I am really proud to be a Clevelander. 

Cudi released an 18 track album featuring Pheobe Bridgers, Popsmoke, Trippie Redd and Skepta. I'm suddenly back in my angsty teen phase when blogging was cool and no one understood what was going on with my body.  

This album is a continuation of a series Cudi said was dead almost 10 years ago while it brings me a shit ton of nostalgia many will debate this - is this album a classic?

First I have to point out that in my opinion Cudi has been extremely inconsistent with music after MOTM2. Aside from Kids See Ghosts, the only other album I genuinely enjoyed was Indicud and even that comes with a caveat because there's a crappy 10 minute song on it and he left GOOD Music while making it.

That being said, his music since MOTM2 wasn't horrible and there was plenty of high notes during that time. The reason I'm bringing up his discography though, is that unless you're a diehard Cudi fan (shout out to the fans straight up banning people on Twitter for saying anything bad about this album), Cudi hasn't really had a strong run of music.

Is it because of this that people will debate this as a classic? 

Or is it because it's lyrically and sonically tight?

Every song on this project offers something new to the Man on the Moon trilogy. It has somehow found a way to sound familiar yet add a fresh spin on Cudi's signature style. To me, this album to me is damn near perfect. From production to lyrics it honestly feels like Cudi is back to doing what he does best - fathering an entire genre of rap music and making emo hits in the process.

Fave songs: Tequila Shots, Solo Dolo 3, Lovin' Me Ft Pheobe Bridgers, Show Out Ft Popsmoke and Skepta, Sad People, The Pale Moonlight etc. etc. etc.

By the way: this is all a long winded way of saying that yes, this album is a classic

Anyway, check the album out below:


Let me know what you think,

Lux

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNCUT: Jack B talks his latest project "Growing Pains"

How to handle your family on Thanksgiving

Kipp Stone releases exclusive song for Kinda Neat