Former XXL alum Jon Connor releases album unnoticed


Every once in a while - mostly around spring - I would sit and ask myself:

"What the hell happened to Jon Connor?"

We're talking about a rapper that had one of the best mixtape runs ever. This guy rapped over beats by JayZ, Eminem, The Notorious B.I.G. and Kanye West and outshined all of them? He was doing something that other rappers weren't at the time. The hype was around Macklemore, Kendrick and Chance so rappers were trying to emulate that style. 

Her was different. Gritty. Real.

After his freshman cover with Chance and Vic Mensa, signing to Dr. Dre's label and releasing one of the absolute best freestyles I've ever heard - he vanished.

It was an absolute mystery, I would google him until my knuckles were sore and I needed a potty break. I would hit blogs and try to follow a digital paper trail that was never there. I felt like Charlie trying to figure out who Pepe Silvia was.


A few weeks ago, I was gearing up to go conspiracy theorist again to find Jon. To my surprise, there was a new development - Jon released an album over the summer. 

Huh?

Where were the posts about it? Why wasn't I notified by messenger pigeon? The great fire was not lit to notify the king's men! I was ashamed that the minute I wasn't looking Jon Connor came back with some new music for his fans.


This album was released months ago so enjoy some - at this rate - old school music by a personal favorite of mine. Happy throwback Thursday.




Let me know what you think

Lux



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNCUT: Jack B talks his latest project "Growing Pains"

How to handle your family on Thanksgiving

Kipp Stone releases exclusive song for Kinda Neat