From Big Sean to Lil Peep, here are the best rap albums from September.

 



It's been one hell of a month for rap. In the last week alone we had projects from Action Bronson, ASAP Ferg, that shitboy Torey Lanez and even a deluxe drop of Lil Wayne's Carter V. Below are my picks for the best projects released this month.

5) Lil Tecca - Virgo World


I have not been easy on rappers like Lil Tecca. I used to be one of those snobby turds that turned his nose up at rappers who sung/rap their lyrics. So technically speaking I know I'm way late on this but Tecca has been a rising star and this album proves he isn't a flash in the pan. While some of the lyricism is meh, the beats are fresh as hell. Best Tracks: When You Down Ft. Lil Durk, Our Time and Selection.

4) Fredo Bang - In the Name of Gee


It's the hard drums mixed with piano melodies for me. Sure, it's been done before but there's something about it mixed with Fredo's gritty lyrics that makes this album note worthy. Best Tracks: No Security Ft. Kevin Gates, Clock Out and How it Go.

3) Dizzy Wright - My Hustle Unmatched


Dizzy Wright is rap's unsung underground hero. Seriously, while other rappers fizzle and burn out after maybe one or two dope albums, this artist has been consistent from the start. This album is the perfect meld of hard drums and laid back flow. Best Tracks: Come Up Phareal, Triggered, My Hustle Unmatched Ft. Landlord.


2) Big Sean - Detroit 2


Mixtape Big Sean is back. After a few years being in a slump and pit of irrelevancy, the Detroit rapper has made a comeback of epic proportion. Not only do we get brag raps, we get story raps and emotional songs also. This album brought me back to high school listening to Finally Famous while smoking pot in my friend's car. Best tracks: Lucky Me, Body Language, Deep Reverence.


1) Lil Peep - Hellboy



Okay, technically speaking this is a mixtape and technically speaking it was released in 2016. However, I'm counting its move to streaming services like Apple and Spotify as an album release. Initially, I wrote this artist off, four years later this is the album I find myself listening to day and night. It's a wildly relatable album with note worth lyrics like "I used to wanna kill myself/ Came up, still wanna kill myself." Not to mention these beats are texturally insane, filled with hard rock riffs and trap synths. Best tracks: Hellboy, OMFG, We Think Too Much and Gucci Mane.

This project is so good, it's made me reconsider pursuing a music career. That's a different story though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNCUT: Jack B talks his latest project "Growing Pains"

How to handle your family on Thanksgiving

Kipp Stone releases exclusive song for Kinda Neat