Footnotes on Impeachment



It's happened, the president has been impeached.

In a 229 to 198 vote, the house of representatives approved the first article of impeachment on abuse of power.  Soon they are expected to similarly approve the second article of obstruction of Congress. Months and months of hearings have led up to a day-long debate that ended in one long day.

Some perspective.

The last time this happened to a president, I was watching Spongebob Squarepants with my mom before I went to preschool for the day. I was more focused on what was going to happen on the playground and whether or not the girls would give me cooties.

Prior to that, I wasn't even born when my parents went through something similar. Back then, they were high school sweethearts on the east side of Cleveland. Their old high school doesn't even exist anymore, neither does my dad's childhood home. It's just a vacant lot with gravel occupying where brick and mortar once stood.

Rubble.

This is not the end, impeachment doesn't mean the president is going to be removed from office. It merely is a set of charges given to an official- it's similar to an indictment. It’s up to the senate to convict. If convicted by a 2/3 majority vote, the President is removed from office.

However, with a Republican-controlled senate, the charges will more than likely be voted down. If you disagree and hope that something positive will come from the senate, however minuscule, god bless you.

All you need for proof is an interview on Fox News last Thursday where Mitch McConnell told Sean Hannity that the Republican party would work in close coordination with the White House.

“Everything I do during this, I’m coordinating with White House counsel. There will be no difference between the president’s position and our position as to how to handle this to the extent that we can," he said.

Sen. Lindsey Graham went further:

"This thing will come to the Senate, and it will die quickly, and I will do everything I can to make it die quickly," he said during an interview.

Of course, there are some senators that may change their point of view but I doubt it. There are too many things that have to happen before I think any differently than I do now - just like officials in congress.

It's times like this where I think about how often something like this happens in a lifetime. During the span of my family, there have been only two other occasions something like this has happened.

Some questions come to mind as we proceed to the next stages.

How will this affect next year's election? While I'm not inclined to believe all the rhetoric Republicans and Democrats have been spewing over the past few months, I do believe that no one is walking out of this process alive.

How will our government look after all of this?

Will we be able to come together, no matter what happens at the end of this all? Or will it end up like the foundation that once held my father's childhood home?

Rubble.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNCUT: Jack B talks his latest project "Growing Pains"

How to handle your family on Thanksgiving

Kipp Stone releases exclusive song for Kinda Neat