Rico Blu releases debut EP "Due to Personal Reasons"

 


There's nothing I love more on vacation than new music from one of the most promising Cleveland artists in the rap game today. Fuck having my ass in the water, toes  in the sand because this margarita tastes a like straight piss water if I can't sip on it while quietly playing a three track slapper from Rico Blu. 


Just don't let my girlfriend and her family find out I snuck off from souvenir shopping at the local Wingz to write this. 

It looks like I'm not the only one capping off a solid summer away from the blog. The Man on the Sun seems destined for something big, getting props from the likes of Dave Chapelle, it only made sense to follow that hype with a new project. With his recent release "Due to Personal Reasons," Blu is serving up a different side of the hype tracks we've heard from him in the past. 

This isn't a bad thing though, making one type of track normally translates into being a one hit wonder. Instead, Blu takes time to talk about relationship issues. It's something that we hear a lot from rappers now, but Blu's vocals/ lyricism/ style and taste for beats gives the listener something fresh to drift off too.

I think the stand out song is going to be Dead Roses. Produced by up and coming Cleveland hitmaker Will Cherry, the song blends trippy synths with a unique drum kit and vocals that sound out of this world. It's something that can be digested multiple times and the listener can pick something new out each play through.  

Mykie's Interlude is a close second as my favorite track on the project: "You taught me lessons that no one else ever did/ Who am I? Who am I? If I had not stood there right by your side, I probably would never exist" is probably my favorite verse of the project. 

Altogether,  my only thought is that I'm interested to see where he goes next. A Three track EP isn't really much to go off of and this is a different side of Blu that we're seeing, which is not a bad thing at all. I love that he's coordinating his music with videos from a talented group of people. I think he's surrounding himself with the right people, which can only mean that his next project (hopefully a mixtape) is going to blow my socks off (and yours).

Anyway, here it is in its entirety down below.



Let me know what you think,
LUX



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNCUT: Jack B talks his latest project "Growing Pains"

How to handle your family on Thanksgiving

Kipp Stone releases exclusive song for Kinda Neat