UNCUT: Jack B talks his latest project "Growing Pains"


Last week Jack B released his second project "Introspection," a seven track EP reflecting on his personal growth as an artist and person.  Produced by Duffy and Falak, the project gives listeners insight into his life, his insecurities and internal struggles.

Hailing from Grand Junction, Colorado, the 19 year old artist is part of the independent collective, 343 Entertainment. B. says he spent seven months working on this project and while that may not seem long compared to other artists, it's clear that B. has agonized over every aspect of this project.

So without further ado, here’s Jack B UNCUT:

What was the inspiration behind the cover art and album title? 

Originally the project was called growing pains and the cover featured a baby picture of me, but after tons of changes and cuts the project came together to form this narrative on some of my inner conflicts, so to say. I drew inspiration for the cover from logics under pressure album cover, and from roddy riches Please forgive me for being antisocial. I decided on the title about a month after the cover shoot, looking at the cover and listening to the tape it’s very evident that the project is a self examination into myself and some of my thoughts and thought processes. So I decided on introspection which means to examine ones own mental or emotional process. 


Listening to this album, it sounds like you're carrying a chip on your shoulder from both external and internal conflict. Tell me the story behind this project?

When I was creating this project I wanted the tape to  address my personal growth in areas outside of music, to share some experiences that helped make me who I am today, and addressing the aftermath of those same situations. I wanted to tell the story so far, let people know who I am and expose some things I care about, some things I’m insecure about and some personal dilemmas that all mold who I am as an artist and as a person. I feel like I was going through what has been one of the most difficult times of my life during the creation of this project. I did a lot of self reflecting over the last year and it bled into my writing, which helped me make the most personal project I’ve released. The projects story kind of arcs from beginning with how I started making music and through the many challenges of pursuing my dreams, to the feelings of growing up and sharing experiences I’ve encountered along the way. I feel as if listening to this album people will get a glimpse into my timeline of the past year or so and be able to follow me on my navigation through the many ups and downs that life brings. 


How has that conflict contributed to your music and how do you cope with it?

I feel like I’ve somewhat always used rapping and creating music as an outlet, or a coping mechanism, for the conflicts of growing up. Anytime I was going through a hard time in my life, music was there to give me an outlet for my thoughts and emotions in a way that empowered me through the toughest days. I feel like that’s why my music is so personal. 


I hear a lot of samples including one by Tupac, what were your biggest influences when making this project?

I’d say my biggest influences for this project would be Kanye’s "Graduation" and Logic's "Under Pressure." I felt very drawn to this boombap style due to the storytelling and how the sub genre would allow for me to tell my story in a setting where lyrical content and rapping ability are in the forefront of the sub genre. 

What was the hardest part about being creative during the pandemic?

I think the hardest part was trying to find new inspirations and things to write about. It was weird to not be going out and experiencing new things to write about, and I think that’s kind of what formed this project and made me write more about past events and how I was currently viewing them.


What comes first, the lyrics or the music? 

I’d say music first, the music is normally what drives the song and gives the vibe of what should go into the lyrics. Lyrical content is important to me and can be what makes or breaks a song for me, but if I don’t like the melody and drums, lyrics can’t save it for me. 


What do you want to be most remembered for? The banger or the album?

I think I’d prefer to be remembered for creating very thoughtful deep cut albums. All the greats that I admire like Kendrick, J. Cole, drake, Kanye, and Logic, they all have multiple albums that tell their stories and really capture the peaks of self expression. To me a memorable album that you can return to for serious listens is better than the bangers you throw on to casually listen to music. 


Not including yours, what are five songs you're currently listening to now?

Chain on by Brockhampton

All of “thats what they all say” by Jack Harlow

Cross faded by Travis Thompson

Bloody murder elegance by Bigbabygucci

Amari by J. Cole. 


Comments

  1. Hard work and perseverance pays off every time!! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to handle your family on Thanksgiving

Kipp Stone releases exclusive song for Kinda Neat