Allow me to reintroduce myself, my name is DON

 


This is a trip. Recently, I've found myself digging through the virtual crates of Datpiff to listen to the Gangsta Grillz series (more on that in a different column) when I found something I was not expecting. Behold, the grail of all grails, the mixtape that puts Mixtape Weezy to shame, the project that will make you cry and want to fight someone all at the same time.

I present to you my second mixtape, the last one I released in high school - Vintage.

Created by Don Jasper, this 12 track offering features songs from artists I never properly credited and songs I recorded at my friends house in Akron with nothing but a booth made of plywood and a dream. Featuring white dudes I don't talk to anymore who sung slightly off key to songs that shouldn't have been hard to sing in key with and verses from me, who wrote this project after being broken up with by a girl who left me for my best friend.

(I wish I was kidding about that last part. A brotherhood was ruined that day but luckily the splits have been mended and I write about him on this blog now! lol)

There are so many questions even I have about this project:

Why was it named Vintage? 

Why did I use this cover art?

Why did I name a song about my drug use 20/4? Did I think that was clever?

Why are like five of these songs about dreams?

How did all of my features sing off-key?

Why do I have a piano interlude that I rap off beat to?

Why did I write a song titled Van Goh and then misspell Van Goh? I know for a fact there wasn't a clever meaning behind it lol

Why didn't I just talk to the girl and get closure? Literally everyone in high school know who I was writing about. It would have been soooo much easier to just talk to her.

Why did it take almost seven years to bury the hatchet with with my friend?

What is my Datpiff password so I can remove this project?

Some pros:

I honestly think the beat selection is preeetty pretty good. Nevermind that I wrote two songs over Kanye beats and that I did a techno song when all of the other beats or boom bap lol

Some cons:

My girlfriend has been begging me nonstop for the last hour not to write/post about this mixtape.

Anyway, here it is for all to see:



Let me know what you think,
LUX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNCUT: Jack B talks his latest project "Growing Pains"

Kipp Stone releases exclusive song for Kinda Neat

How to handle your family on Thanksgiving