UNCUT: A conversation with Nuke Franklin and his new project

 


This one is a special one for me. Since the original version of this blog began there was only one artist that was there every step of the way and that was Nuke Franklin. Now, almost two years later Franklin has released a brand new cut with three new songs.

Titled "What a Mess," sonically this project is dark, vivid and sharp. Franklin is an artist scorned by what's been going on in America and he has something to say. A lot of EP's come and go within days of release, I think Franklin's project will linger weeks after its been said and done. 

Below is a conversation with Franklin about his project which is now available on streaming platforms.

The EP is called What a Mess, why did you name it that?

I named the project "What A Mess" because I was having a conversation with a friend about life & just the world in general and the phrase kept being brought up and I guess it just stuck with me. I feel like it's the perfect way to describe the world and everyone's life at this point. It was just fitting.

What are some of the themes behind the three track offering? What was your inspiration behind it?

I really just wanted to make some really dark cinematic music with this project but i wanted each track to offer something different. The main inspiration was trying to make something different. That's honestly always the inspiration, trying to make and offer something different but better than my previous music.

How long did it take you to make this project? Walk me through your process in creating music.

It took about 2 maybe 3 weeks to make. I usually write my music on the spot, so when I have the beat and idea I put the beat on loop and start writing the lyrics. I need to burn some sage or an incense before I start and I need my carnelian crystal and some liquor. I like to change the light color in the room to whatever color I feel fits the vibe the best and then I just walk around the room writing with the beat blasting and maybe have a muted movie playing on the tv. That's pretty much my whole process haha.

I notice in these tracks, you're extremely visual. You put the listener in your seat. Why is it important to have vivid imagery with your music?

For me it's important because I'm a fan of music that's vivid. I like when I hear a song and I can close my eyes and actually visualize everything the artist is saying or imagine a whole movie scene to go along with it. Another thing is I made each of these songs with ideas for visuals already in mind so that helped too. 

My favorite track on the offering is Antelope Ft. Brian Brown. What's the story behind the track's name and what does that song mean to you?

To be 100% honest Kipp (Stone) just made the beat and asked me what we should name it and Antelope was the first thing that came to mind haha, honestly very random. I love that song though, it's so simple but so good to me and Brian Brown killed his verse.

What originally hooked me on your music was the dark tones that underlie your music. What attracts you to the darker side of music making and why?

I love music with darker tones for some reason. I grew up on Cudi, early Tyler and OF and stuff like that so I guess that's what I just gravitate to. Especially with the content that's in most of my music i think the darker tones just fit and makes the lyrics resonate more.

The other thing that strikes me when I listen to your music is how undefined it is. We have movements like Clevelanta and ClevelAngelos but your music is unique in that it bucks those trends completely. How did you develop your sound and how do you work to keep your identity despite trends?

Honestly I just make the shit that sounds cool to me. My sound developed by working close to the producers that I work with and continuing to push each other to make some different stuff. Just having the ability to come with ideas and concepts and actually sit down with people and build that chemistry helped a lot. Also keeping an open mind and not wanting to be confined to one sound and make the same song over and over played a big part.

Do the lyrics come first or does the music? Why?

The music is usually first, that sets the tone for me. I'll have an idea or something but the music/beat is what really gets everything rolling.

What are five songs (that aren't yours)  on rotation right now?

Right now my top 5 in rotation is Kipp Stone - People Be Trash, Sault - Sorry Aint Enough, Q - Alone, Chief Keef - Status & SAINt JHN - Freedom Is Priceless

Whats next?

Next is the album "90FIVE". No release date or timetable yet but it's ready, just waiting on the right time.

Which is good because my only critique of this project is that its WAY too short. I'm extremely excited to see what Franklin has up his sleeve "90FIVE," even though it has no release date - you can expect a post or two about it when it does come out.

Check out the EP below:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/what-a-mess-single/1540608218

Let me know what you think,

Lux

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNCUT: Jack B talks his latest project "Growing Pains"

How to handle your family on Thanksgiving

Kipp Stone releases exclusive song for Kinda Neat