THE CUT: Cassidy King is Cleveland's not-so-secret secret weapon

 


Most of the time, I try to avoid obvious Cleveland artists to spotlight on this blog. I want to showcase artists that have potential to become stars, not those that are already stars.

That being said, there are times where I need to ignore that trend and write about good fucking music when I hear it. Cassidy King is one of those shooting-star artists that deserves more recognition than she's getting from other platforms.

The Chardon-based singer has been performing for most of her life, singing in local contests but never considered it as a career option. That is until her friend convinced her to release a video of her singing in 2017 while she attended school at Kent State University (KSU represent!).

I have to say, it's a damn good thing she listened to her friend. King's music, a bubbly mix of pop and alternative that makes you want to dance while listening to it. Most of all however, it's genuine and imperfect and really opens you up to the world she's living in. It's something I think is sorely missing in today's pop scene.

Kassidy's strength is her story telling. In songs like "Professional Smiler," and "Abigail," King expertly tells stories of heartbreak and trying to fit in. In my personal favorite "Ashes," King talks directly to her ex about their new love interest and what they have that she didn't - it had eighth grade me singing at the top of my lungs at three in the morning.

This is the part where I normally place a bet and say that this artist is going to blow up if you give them time. With King, whose songs get thousands and thousands of views on her videos and more than 14k followers, I don't have to - it's a guarantee.

Check her out below:


and


and


Checker her new EP out while you're at it:


Let me know what you think,
Lux



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNCUT: Jack B talks his latest project "Growing Pains"

How to handle your family on Thanksgiving

Kipp Stone releases exclusive song for Kinda Neat