Rap Gems’ best albums of 2020

 


This year has been one of the most horse shit years ever. 

That being said, this year may also have been one of the greatest years for hip-hop period. We got a new Cudi album, Mac Miller album AND everyone is realizing how garbage Lil Pump and Tekashi69 are (still shocked he has defenders).

Since every media outlet released their best of lists at the beginning of December, I decided I'd hold off on mine until the actual last week of the year just in case there were any late entries (there was one). Over all, it was a hell of a year for both boom-bap and trap rap. While I'm absolutely inlove with the former, the latter has taken me some time to get used to - which is why there are few trap albums on this list. 

(Don't get it twisted, Vert, DaBaby, Gunna etc. etc. are fire rappers.)

So, with that in mind here are my top ten favorite albums of the year:

Burden of Proof - Benny The Butcher


Griselda Records had probably the best year out of any collective of artists. Capping off their amazing run was Benny the Butcher's "Burden of Proof," which features Lil Wayne,  Rick Ross and Freddie Gibbs. Chalk full of classic boom-bap rap, this album solidified that Griselda was a serious contender for next legendary rap group.

Alfredo - Freddie Gibbs and The Alchemist


Another solid boom-bap entry, Freddie Gibbs is a master rhyme spitter. Mixing heavy trap flow with jazzy samples and drums served up by The Alchemist, this album is MEATY with precision flow, and dynamite rhymes. It's the best of both worlds, this is a gangster rap album that sounds like it could be played for the Corleone's. 


MOTM3 - Kid Cudi


I'm a Cleveland kid and there's no doubt at one point you've heard the words "Cudi saved my life." There's a reason that's a common saying for kids growing up in Cleveland and in the states. His music is so personal and relatable, it makes you feel like someone actually understands you. Sonically this album sounds like a dream scape, with wavy drums and synths, it's like you're astral projecting. This is classic Cudi and damn near blows the first two installments out of the water (though MOTM will forever be one of the top ten albums of all time).

Also - FUCK Pitchfork.

Good News - Megan Thee Stallion 


There's no female rapper that has had a better year than Megan Thee Stallion. Savage was a commercial and critical success and Good News continued that success. Mixing southern flow with New York influences, this album meshes perfectly and is an easy listen. You get bonus points if you play it at family gatherings as loud as possible - which I have.

Limbo (Deluxe) - Amine


I love Amine, this third album is a perfect reason why I love him. The deluxe version of an album he released earlier this year, the artist gave us more to consume while still keeping it fresh. You can listen to this project in damn near any situation and still appreciate the word play and the fun that went into making it.


RTJ4 - Run The Jewels


This album has made it to the number one spot on a lot of outlet's lists. I get it, with solid production from El-P and in-your-face lyricism from both him and Killer Mike, it's easily one of the best of the year. My partner almost left me when I played this album so many times she wouldn't get in the car with me unless I promised not to play it.

From King to God - Conway the Machine 


Another Griselda album? Absolutely. Conway The Machine is the second hardest working artists under the Buffalo label, behind Westside Gunn. His hard work payed off when he released FKTG earlier this year. Filled with classic boom-bap beats but mixed with enough sounds for a fresh spin on it, this album has insane replay value. Not to mention it has amazing features from Method Man, Flee Lord, El Camino and Benny the Butcher. This was on repeat while I wrote this list.

No Pressure - Logic


The final album by Logic before he retired (y'okay), is arguably his best. It reminds me of the first mixtape that ever got me into him while I was a sophomore in high school - Young Sinatra. I have to be honest, I hated almost everything he's done since then but this album showcased the rapper at his lyrical best over production from 9th Wonder and others.

Circles - Mac Miller


The last Mac Miller album ever. 

It's kind of hard to write about this project, the prequel to it was released around the time one of my best friends overdosed. Since then, Mac's music has been there to help me cope when I miss him. It truly felt like Mac found his rhythm and made some of the best work he's ever done. It's not as hype or lyrical as the previous albums but it's introspective and fluid and it makes you feel like you're floating a sleep in a vast, dark ocean.


My Turn - Lil Baby 


Another shooting star, Lil Baby was a late entry only because I suffer from hipster syndrome and refused to listen to him while everyone was talking about him. This project is a good reason why I need to stop doing that. Filled with crystal clear trap beats, hype and introspective verses from Lil Baby and guest verses from Lil Wayne, Gunna and Future - I'm extremely excited to see what's next for this rising star.


And there you have it, the best albums of 2020. Let me know what you think about my list via social media and who you thought deserved to be in it.

Peace,
Lux

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNCUT: Jack B talks his latest project "Growing Pains"

How to handle your family on Thanksgiving

Kipp Stone releases exclusive song for Kinda Neat