Gems Select: The best rap albums of October

 


As spooky season comes to a close, so does another round of music releases. It was a whirlwind too, half the time, I almost drowned with how many new albums came out. This included projects from Trippier Redd, Snot, YG and The Alchemist. It was the whole gamut of style and as one blogger - it's hard to cover sometimes.

Anyways, here are my picks for the best project this month.

BURGUNDY - Will Cherry

Elyria native Will Cherry spent four years working on this album. That alone is impressive (I can barely keep up with the video games I'm playing), but what's more impressive is the final product.

Focusing on grief and how it sticks with us if it's not properly handled, Cherry expertly explores loss and change. What I like most about this album is how it's a chameleon in ways, I can't think of a bad time to play this album - driving? dope. Happy? say no more. Alone with your thoughts? Go ahead.

Cherry was also spotlighted on Pitchfork (we did it first, NBD), which is a clear sign this artist has nowhere to go but up.


Check his debut album out here:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/burgundy/1536005758

MY LIFE 4HUNNID - YG


I don't normally dabble in West Coast music (save for TDE) but when I do, it's a YG album.

On YG's "My Life 4Hunnid," the artist turns up the heat for a potent mix of lyrics and classic sounds that harken back to Snoop Dogg's heyday. The project also features verses from Chris Brown, Lil Wayne and Tyga.

Also, who else can make hard bottoms, high socks and basketball shorts look dope?



Check his album out:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/my-life-4hunnid/1533836489

BEAUTIFUL - Russ Hall


I'm huge on lyricism. If you asked any of my friends from high school, they'd tell you I lived and died by it. So when I hear someone like Russ Hall rap, I can't help but get excited.

On his album "Beautiful," the rapper effortlessly dazzles with flow changes, stories and clever lines about his come up. It's a solid project that makes me eager to see what's next for this budding artist.




Check his album below:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/beautiful/1533733763


NEW BEGINNINGS - REASON


This album kind of snuck up on me. By that, I mean I had absolutely no idea how talented REASON was.

One play through of this album and it's clear to see why TDE, home of Kendrick Lamar and Schoolboy Q signed him. His lyrics are raw and energized, something that's sort of waned in the rap industry today as it struggles with a transition period from an era dominated by mumble rap to something new.

Whatever that is, REASON will be at the forefront of it.


Link to his album:
https://music.apple.com/us/album/new-beginnings/1533867305


FEATURING TY DOLLA SIGN - Ty Dolla Sign


I was slow to get on the hype train for Ty Dolla Sign (extremely freaking late) but I joined just in time to get rewarded with a new album. This is my go to vibe album when my nerves are freaking out and it feels like my skin is melting.

It's so mellow.

Not to mention is has a whole cavalcade of artists on it like Kid Cudi, Kanye West and Big Sean.  It literally has something for everyone.

Link to his album:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/featuring-ty-dolla-%24ign/1536655568

BURDEN OF PROOF - Benny the Butcher


Griselda has had an insane year and the crown jewel of that run is Burden of Proof by Benny the Butcher.

Benny was the first rapper of Griselda I got into back when I was delivering cookies in college. I had no idea he was apart of the hottest rap group in the game today. Burden of Proof perfectly captures what I love about him - gritty, story telling rap.


Here's the link to his album:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/burden-of-proof/1535561612

HOMME - Kipp Stone


I said it before and I'll say it again: Kipp Stone is Cleveland's Kendrick Lamar.

I'm not comparing them sonically, I'm saying that Like Lamar, Stone perfectly captures what life is like growing up in Cleveland. Even for someone like me, whose been privileged enough to live a life away from that, I can feel his pain and struggle.

Listen to this album, it's amazing.

https://music.apple.com/us/album/homme/1530765970

Let me know what you think,

Lux

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNCUT: Jack B talks his latest project "Growing Pains"

How to handle your family on Thanksgiving

Kipp Stone releases exclusive song for Kinda Neat