A look at Kanye's best G.o.o.d. Friday's songs



Look, it's time to face some facts, you're going to be reading a lot about Kanye West on this blog. Anyone who knew me knew he was my favorite rapper in high school. While I can't vouch for the crazy shit he's been up to lately, a few years ago he was making the best rap music out.

Take his My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy days. As a lead up to the album, he released about 14 songs to build hype for it. To top it off, each song had some crazy features or beat that made me listen to every song at least 30 times a day.

So I decided I would rank some of my favorite songs from the series. Not every song will be on this list so here's a link to a youtube playlist with all of them in it.

Anyway, here's my favorite songs from G.o.o.d. Fridays:

Good Friday



This was my go-to celebration song, good vibe song, driving song back in the day. I literally could not be angry or sad when this track came on. It was just a spirit booster through and through and every rapper on this song was in their prime (save for Pusha who is now making the best music of his life).


Christian Dior Denim Flow



When I needed a sad, lyrical song to match my mood, this was it. This song helped me get through my first major break up in high school? Remember those days? When you thought they mattered more than they actually did?

Imagine that, now with this music as the soundtrack. It was like I lived in a mix of Riverdale and Empire. It was that serious.

Power Remix

I mean, this song is just a bop. I think the only other version of this song that's better than what was on the album is the version Ye performed on SNL when he changed the second verse because it shit on the show.

This song is absolutely better than what is on the album mainly because Jay's verse and the remix at the end with "I GOT THE POWA," echoing in the back.

Chain Heavy



Hard lyrics meets boom-bap? I'm in.

"I swear life's a bitch, on her period." Could have been tattooed on me for how many times I said that line when this song was released.

This is just classic Ye, dropping a mix of thought-provoking and clever lines that made me torrent all of his albums (and eventually buy them so it evened out).

Looking For Trouble



The unorthodox beat, the sample, and J. Cole. 

How could this not make the top five list? 

While this song does feature a bad verse from Cyhi. Fortunately, he's followed by Big Sean in his prime and the song closes out with J. Cole's hungry bars. I absolutely played this song before rolling up to parties when I was younger ( I wasn't invited to many so my corny ass needed to make every one count).

Best line:

"When you're this high, everyone's a critic but when you're this high everyone's a midget." - Cole.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNCUT: Jack B talks his latest project "Growing Pains"

How to handle your family on Thanksgiving

Kipp Stone releases exclusive song for Kinda Neat